Alvin Braggfor Manhattan District Attorney
Alvin Bragg (D) is an experienced attorney and a former chief deputy attorney general of New York. For over twenty years, Bragg has committed himself to defending the rights of New Yorkers without status or power. He is running to become the next Manhattan District Attorney to bring his professional and lived experiences to the forefront of criminal justice reform. If elected, Bragg would become the first Black District Attorney to lead the Manhattan DA’s office.
As a lifelong Harlem resident and the only Black man in this race, Alvin Bragg has had direct encounters with the criminal legal system that have shaped his understanding of injustices and informed his policy positions.
Growing up in Harlem, Bragg experienced and witnessed violence firsthand. As a teenage boy, Bragg was repeatedly stopped and frisked by the NYPD, including 3 times at gunpoint. He’s seen loved ones arrested and has opened his own home to support a close family member post-incarceration.
Alvin Bragg uniquely understands the inequities embedded into our broken criminal justice system, and will work to reverse the effects of mass incarceration. As the next Manhattan DA, Alvin Bragg has pledged to:
- Hold police accountable by creating a specialized unit to investigate police misconduct and publicly report findings.
- Decline to prosecute low-level offenses for which there is no public safety benefit.
- Prioritize harm-reduction strategies, including treatment for mental illness and substance use disorders.
- Track racial disparities in our criminal justice system and provide training throughout the DAs office to eliminate them.
- Reduce the number of guns on the streets by cracking down on gun trafficking and using outreach programs to engage communities and deter violence.
- Create an independent, transparent Conviction Integrity Unit dedicated to reviewing and overturning convictions of innocent people who’ve been wrongfully accused.
Alvin Bragg is the only candidate with the proven track record and experience to manage an office as important as the Manhattan DA’s.
On Election Day, November 2, 2021, vote Alvin Bragg for New York County (Manhattan) District Attorney. Election Day polling places will open on November 2 from 6 AM to 9 PM. You can also avoid lines and wait times by requesting an absentee ballot by October 18 or voting early in-person between October 23-October 31.