Satana DeberryDurham county district attorney
Update: Durham County DA Satana Deberry has been re-elected to a second term. On May 17, 2022 Deberry won the Democratic primary with nearly 80% of the primary vote and ran unopposed in November’s general election.
Satana Deberry (D) is running for re-election to continue serving as Durham’s District Attorney. Deberry is an experienced criminal defense attorney who has worked to prioritize cases that pose an actual threat to public health and safety. Since taking office in 2019, she has successfully:
- Kept children out of the criminal justice system, by no longer accepting court referrals for school-based incidents (with rare exceptions for serious offenses).
- Expunged more than 3,000 charges for hundreds of people, mostly Black people, who were teenagers at the time of their offense. Everyone deserves a second chance, and clearing conviction records helps remove barriers to education, employment, and housing.
- Brought closure to families by resolving years-old cold case serial assaults and reviewing previously untested sexual assault evidence kits.
- Through the DEAR Program, waived court debt for 11,000 residents whose driver’s licenses were suspended simply because they could not afford to pay fines and fees.
Color Of Change PAC endorsed Satana Deberry’s 2018 run for office because of her commitment to end criminal justice policies that harm Black people. Deberry continues to be the District Attorney Durham needs. If re-elected, she will continue to:
- Address inequity and bias in our criminal legal system
- End reliance on cash bail
- Increase resources to divert people to mental health and drug courts
- End the school to prison pipeline by diverting children from court
On Election Day, May 17, 2022, you have the power to keep DA Deberry in office to continue the meaningful work she’s started. You must be a registered voter to participate in this election. Register to vote or double check your registration status here.
Support our Work
Your contribution will support Color Of Change PAC’s volunteer organizing and get out the vote efforts in North Carolina and in critical races across the nation.
Other Important Dates
- This Saturday, May 19, 2018, 11am – 1:30pm
- The Gathering Spot, 100, 384 Northyards Blvd NW, Atlanta, GA 30313
You’ll need to have:
- California license or ID card number
- Last four SSN digits
- Date of birth
To register in-person (or by mail), you can pick up a paper application at any county elections office, library, Department of Motor Vehicles offices, or U.S. post office.