Matt Duganfor Allegheny County District Attorney
Matt Dugan is a public defender running on a platform to reform our criminal legal system and address racial disparities.
For 25 years current District Attorney Stephen Zappala has resisted progressive criminal justice reform. DA Zappala has led the harsh prosecution of children, disproportionately charging Black children as adults in court. Under his leadership, his office jailed a woman who had a miscarriage, and then charged her with concealing the death of her child. DAs have the power to decide who gets prosecuted and the severity of each prosecution. That’s why voting in this upcoming District Attorney election is crucial.
Matt Dugan is an experienced public defender and advocate with a deep understanding of the problems facing our county. After years of fighting on the frontlines for his clients, Dugan is ready to bring real, transformational change to our criminal legal system.
As District Attorney, Matt Dugan pledges to:
- Prioritize offenses that pose an actual threat to public health and safety.
- Divert people in need of mental health services or substance use treatment out of our criminal legal system.
- Advocate against the use of cash bail, which unfairly punishes people who cannot afford to pay.
- Hold police and public officials accountable for misconduct against communities they serve.
- Create a unit focused on freeing innocent people who were wrongfully convicted.
Allegheny County deserves a DA committed to bringing fairness and integrity back to the District Attorney’s Office. Matt Dugan is committed to achieving public safety without criminalizing Black people, and without relying on incarceration as the only form of justice.
Vote Matt Dugan for Allegheny County District Attorney by Tuesday, May 16, 2023. You must be a registered voter to participate in this election. Register to vote today or check your registration status on Allegheny County’s Election Resources page.
Support our Work
Your contribution will support Color Of Change PAC’s volunteer organizing and get out the vote efforts in Pennsylvania and in critical races across the nation.